I was speaking with my cousin in Texas last night about Thanksgiving and how excited she had been and I know my family Stateside celebrated with loved ones and enjoyed the togetherness whilst devouring their veritable feast.
I woke up today feeling quite strange. I miss my family that are far away and this, coupled with the fact I haven’t been well for a while, led me to a rare case of ‘feelingsorryformyselfitis’.
At times like these I really have to make a conscious decision to practice an attitude of gratitude, so before I even got out of bed I compiled a list of ‘great things that have happened today before I even get up’.
1) My 6 year old son came and told me he loved me.
2) I have nettle tea to drink which will sooth my inflammation.
3) My amazing partner bought me some breakfast.
4) I have a nice warm comfortable bed to lie in.
5) I can hear my family laughing in the kitchen.
6) The sound of the rain on the window but I felt really snuggly.
7) Friends that care, I received a text asking how I was early this morning.
8) Our dog bought me the greatest gift ever (in her eyes) of a squeaky ball.
9) I have the luxury of a slower start being self-employed.
10) Hugs from my children before school.
This is such a great exercise to do if you are feeling down. If 10 amazing things can happen before I get up I can easily release any (false) expectations that today may be a bad day. After all we get back what we put out there energetically. I now feel excited at the possibilities the rest of my day holds.
One of my favourite proverbs is “give thanks for a little and you will find a lot”. It’s so true. There is always, always, always something to be thankful for. Sometimes we need to just open our eyes and see.